About Kedron Districts FC
Kedron AFC - the early years
The Early Years
With its history dating back to 1937, Kedron is one of the Leagues’ oldest clubs. The club was the result of an amalgamation between Kedron and Wooloowin Past Pupil's Associations. Founders included John (Sandy) Mcmahon, Ted Anderson and Ted Pascoe, all granted life membership of the club.
First Secretary-President was Jack Henderson, also a life member, and first Captain-coach was Les Phillips. That first season, Kedron had their first premiership success with their second 18's. While a Queensland team was in Melbourne in 1938, Kedron won a special `Knockout' competition at home. Kedron had two representatives in the Queensland team, Harold Jackson and Gordon Phelan. Jack Henderson was the team manager. Kedron finished the 1938 season with a credit balance of £10 ($20)!
In 1939 Kedron were runners-up to Windsor for the premiership. Kedron was able to keep the club intact during the war years.
Again in 1940 Kedron bowed to Windsor in the Grand Final, but the 1941 season saw the first 18's score the their first premiership success. The team coached by Les Phillips and led by Ted Pascoe, only lost one match that season, to Windsor, but defeated Mayne in the Grand Final. The team included Jackson, Phelan, Roy Bonney, Jack Glenwright, Bert McClintock, Fred Coulthurst and Ted Wass.
Two more Premierships came in 1943 and 1944. For many years Kedron and Windsor were great rivals and the 1946 side, coached by Gus Graham went down to Windsor in the Grand Final.
Kedron supporters will not forget the 1947 Grand Final - a match that Kedron won and then LOST! The scoreboard showed Kedron one point in front at the finish and supporters were jubilant, the Goal umpires conferred in the centre of Windsor Park and the official result became Windsor winning by one point.
Revenge came quickly because next season Kedron easily defeated Windsor in the 1948 Grand Final at Perry Park. That was Kedron's last Premiership for the first 18's until 1959.
In 1948 Kedron's centre half-back Erwin Dornau went to South Melbourne and became the first Queenslander to play first 18 VFL.http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2008-09-30/in-memoriam-erwin-dornau
Kedron finished the 1959 season with a credit balance of £850 ($1700) and club membership exceeded 200! This season was also the first in new jerseys and as the `Redlegs' instead of the `Blues', Lionhearts or Lions. Melrose Park, Wooloowin was the clubs headquarters during this time.
After the ’59 flag, Kedron suffered a drought until 1980 when they beat Coorparoo by 48 points to win the Grand Final.
At the end of the 1989 season, Kedron and Wilston Grange merged to form the Kedron Grange Football Club. The amalgamated team were known as the "Demons" and wore the unique WG stripe jersey with Kedron red socks. The club played for seven seasons in this form, losing the 1994 Grand Final to Morningside by two points.
At the end of 1996 the merged club had collapsed, both parties to the merger relied on their junior clubs to continue in the underage competitions while Wilston Grange re-fielded a lower level senior team in SQAFL Division 2 in 1995.
By 2006 enough support from the juniors allowed the senior club to return to senior football via the Queensland State Association division two. Kedron won the flag that year and were runners up in 2010.